Analytics

Monday, August 1, 2011

New Beginnings

Today is my birthday. I normally spend this day sleeping late and and celebrating in a quiet, low key manner. I've never had an official birthday party and I rarely make a big to do about my birthday. Don't get me wrong, I go all out for other people's birthday but I'm very different about my own. I don't require a lot of gifts and noise and people for that matter. I like to reflect on where I am in my life. I'm thankful for the life I was given and the freedom to make choices.

This birthday will be different. It is the first day back to work! Never have I ever WORKED on my birthday but I certainly have never started back to work on my birthday. This confirms to me that school is starting way too soon. The dog days of summer are yet to begin. I remember when I was a kid, school started the week before Labor Day.

But later today, I begin my first day. I am not sure what to expect. But this is a year of new beginnings in many ways. The new answer when someone wants something that I am not able to deliver or have no desire to do, is "I'm sorry but No". I have never been a people pleaser but in my line of work, I deal with a variety of personalities. I'm always in the hot seat and do my best to help all who ask. But today, the game changes.

Dealing with negative people is never my strong suit. I'm such a take it or leave it, that it is hard for me to bite my tongue and keep quiet. There have been times that I have wanted to really lose my cool but I have maintained professionalism and appropriate work behavior.

This is also the first time in 25 years that I am returning to work without Oprah. I have learned so much about myself and life in general from watching Oprah. I hold a special place for Oprah because we are both from rural Mississippi and experienced a Grandmother's Love. When people around me began to say that Oprah was getting too god-like, I refused to argue with them. I've listened to them accuse her of saying that she did not believe in God. I never saw that show and cannot say that she uttered those words. I always appreciated the enlightenment that she shared. As with all things, there is the freedom to choose whether or not you wanted to get on board with it.

Sooner than later, I will begin a new journey. Today is just the beginning.

No comments:

Nappylicious T-shirt

The Oprah Effect