Analytics

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Television: It's Still A Good Thing!

Part of my TV viewing pleasure is to watch episodes of VH1’s “Behind The Music” and TV One’s “Unsung”.

Last night, I settled in to watch Billy Preston’s Unsung. I was looking forward to it because I like his music and realized that I really didn’t know much about his life.

Unsung fans know how the show tends to take viewers on a roller coaster ride of emotions. I have found myself laughing, crying, celebrating and crying about the outcomes. Last night was no different.

I learned so much about Billy Preston and about life in general. Sometimes it’s just not fair. I learned that Billy Preston was a gifted musician. He had passion for his craft (music) so much that he didn’t care about the business side and was often taken advantage of by people he trusted to manage his business affairs. Billy had some childhood issues that ultimately became baggage too heavy to carry. He was even referred to as a “Genius with Baggage”.

I found myself watching and listening intently to Billy Preston’s story and realizing that the abuse he suffered as a child damaged him for life. The VH1 Behind the Music episodes featuring Missy Elliott, Mary J. Blige and Billy Preston (Unsung) had one common thread: Missy, Mary and Billy’s childhood had been tainted by actions of another that either made them feel worthless and filling their emotional suitcases with baggage that would ultimately become too heavy for them to carry. This baggage forced Mary J. and Billy Preston to seek artificial comfort and relief by abusing drugs or alcohol. Mary J. recorded music about the baggage of her life.

I found inspiration watching Missy and Mary’s stories as they showed proof that despite the luggage tossed at you, this journey of life can re-routed and lived successfully without shame and unwanted, outdated luggage.

It saddened my heart to hear that Billy Preston’s last words were “I Can’t”.

I am not a licensed therapist or counselor but I am a person who has lived life and God-willing, I will be 42 next week. I am not here to judge anyone’s life but to encourage you to seek the help you need to unpack those bags and to start living.

No comments:

Nappylicious T-shirt

The Oprah Effect