Analytics

Thursday, November 6, 2008

All About Me


Welcome to my blog!

I guess the first thing I should do is introduce myself. Yeah, that would be the proper thing.
As my name indicates, I LOVE to create. I am trying to find a way to create 24/7 and sustain a comfortable lifestyle. I have grown quite accustomed to wearing clothes and eating at least once per day. I do not want to be the true starving artist. I did that for the first 18 years of my life and I think I have served my time.

I have been married for the last 4.5 years to Michael. We had a whirlwind romance and marriage. We don't have children and at this point, they are not in the plan. In 4.5 years, we have never had an argument.

My day job is in education. I am experiencing total burnout. It happens. Though I am not in the classroom and people think that I have one of the best jobs in the building, every job has it’s own quirks. Because I don’t have a class, I end up getting the catch all tasks like keeping up with the school’s fixed assets, making sure that computers are operational, and because I am thecreativelady, come up with catchy bulletin boards, scrapbooks and whatever other last minute shit they can come up with, all while trying to be the librarian.

I know what you’re thinking: that I must be an old fart, who wears a sweater and glasses and her hair up in a bun telling kids to “shhhh”. Only one of those things is true: I do wear a sweater or jacket all the time because it’s so fucking cold in the building even in the winter when the heat is supposed to be on. But consider myself a New Age librarian. I am in my 30s and often get mistaken for a middle school student (no, no please) and my vision is 20/20. I wear my hair natural and would love to be able to wear it in a bun but it hasn’t grown that long yet!
My hair will be a whole other separate entry one day. But I chopped all of the permed hair off in 2007 and started wearing it au naturale. I shocked some people and took some criticism but it is my life and hair and will do what I want.

So what do I create? kickass professional slideshows for weddings, reunions, graduations, etc., jewelry and fabric art. That is just a fancy way of saying “quilts”. But I don’t create your typical grandmother’s quilt. I will use a variety fabrics and techniques that differ from the traditional 9 patch or flying geese pattern. I have studied my craft and know my history. My 89 year old grandmother makes the traditional quilts. I like the funkier, edgey designs. One day, I will create a traditional one but not now. I also took home economics 20 years ago and have spent lots of time and money in Hancock Fabrics buying fabric and patterns with the notion of actually sewing a garment but it has not happened! Watching Project Runway really had me thinking that I was gonna create some clothes. It has not happened yet. I need time. I know that we all have the same 24 hours a day but . . .I'm special.

I also enjoy cooking and baking cakes. Cookies, well, I leave that to my friend, Liz. My cookies always come out like cupcakes. I have bought all kinds of cookie presses from HSN and QVC and every non-stick cookie sheet to be found. No deal! Oh well, you can't excel in everything.

<

No comments:

Nappylicious T-shirt

The Oprah Effect