Analytics

Monday, November 3, 2008

Election Eve


Politics and Religion. I learned early to avoid discussions about these two. But trust me, I have my views about both. But on this election eve, I had to go on record to express my thoughts. There is a buzz in the air. No matter which party wins, history will be made. Either the first African American Head of State or the first female VP. It is an exciting time to be alive.

I have been amazed at the number of people that I have known who died this year before they could vote. But on Tuesday's Oprah, there will be a segment about a fellow Mississippian who turned 109 and had the chance to vote in this historic election. The Oprah guest, affectionately called, "Aunt Nettie" is the mother my high school American Government teacher! How cool is that?! Now, the show has not aired yet but I work with Aunt Nettie's great niece and she reports that she proudly stated that she already voted early, for Barack Obama.

There is such pride in my community among older folks I know who have lived long enough to cast a vote for Barack Obama. My 89 year old grandmother is another Obama supporter. I've bought her t-shirts that I promise she is going to wear the silk screen off until it no longer reads "Obama" but "O"! Then she'll be able to represent both Obama and Oprah! What a team! My friend Liz has sent her 2 buttons all the way from Washington, D.C. and you'd think she had hit the lottery! She even went so far as to ask if I thought that Obama himself had sent her the buttons! I had to give her the truth, and tell her no. My grandmother is hilarious.

My husband and I voted early on October 20 and I was in line for 45 minutes. I did not mind the wait. Struggles ensued so that I may have the right to vote. Surely, if my ancestors could march and face unspeakable oppositions, surely I could stand peacefully in line to cast my ballot for Barack Obama.

No comments:

Nappylicious T-shirt

The Oprah Effect