Analytics

Saturday, August 1, 2009

The Big 4-0

Today, I turn 40! Certain Welcome Wagon committee members have already welcomed me into the fold with advisement to purchase Ben Gay ointment and to "expect to hear sound effects when moving, sitting, standing, bending and reaching"! Ha! Thanks Liz!


Online friends have wished me good tidings like my Fashionista Poochie of Poochie's Closet. Jeff Majors, Etsy, Threadbangers and WDIA AM 1070 in Memphis have all wished me a Happy Birthday. My "twin" has already called and was actually the first person to ring in the 40s on my phone. Thanks Anthony! My dad is even up and online at this hour and has already sent online wishes. I'm not surprised. We are both Leos and night owls. Family members with normal sleeping habits will begin ringing my phone later this morning!

Now that I'm officially 40, I have to say that I feel great. Not to sound arrogant but it doesn't hurt either that I don't look 40. I work in a middle school and visitors often comment that I look like one of the kids. Now, I wouldn't go that far but I accept the compliment anyway. What's my secret? I would love to tell you that it's because I eat right, exercise at least 3 times per week and that I don't drink or smoke, have a beauty regimen that would shame Cleopatra and that I'm in bed by 9:30 every night. I would love to tell you that. In actuality, it is currently 3:50 AM, I haven't been to sleep and my first birthday meal was 5 empanadas, a Coca-Cola and a glass of Moscato. I haven't been on the Wii in well over 2 months. The Mii characters are probably really getting their snooze on. Beauty regimen. . .I have been known to crash out in my clothes with makeup on! So what's my secret? Good Genes baby!




Look at my ancestors! From left to right we have my great grandfather, my great grandmother, my grandfather, my grandmother and my great uncle. Such greatness. These folks and more have all made me who I am today.

I work with middle schoolers and they keep me hip and informed. I always know the latest music, dance crazes, fashion trends and must have gadgets. Getting checked by them and putting them in check occurs on a regular basis. I am barely "a buck 0-5" working with urban youth and I not scared. "I am a Clair". Clair as in Clair Huxtable from The Cosby Show. I give them "the look". They know that I don't play.



Though I don't make New Year's Resolutions, I do take birthday reflections. I will celebrate my 40th birthday for the next 364 days by being grateful. Grateful to be alive. The past few months and especially that last few weeks has been tumultuous. Many people have died. Lots have been celebrities. Some, I've known personally or exchanged emails with. Just like me, Steve McNair graduated from Alcorn State University. I watched him play football at Alcorn. It is because of Steve that I am a knowledgeable football fan. He autographed his covers of Sports Illustrated and Sports View for me in 1995 just before getting drafted into the NFL.

As a reader, I often wondered how writers could use a celebrity's name in their work of fiction without getting sued. My answer came after I received a response to my query from E. Lynn Harris. I still have that email.

Family members, friends, neighbors and co-workers have died. Life is so amazing. I remember laughing and talking with a co-worker/friend one Friday and on Monday heard that she had died over the weekend. While death is natural and a given, it is sometimes hard to accept. I've spent ample amounts of time lately grieving the loss of family and friends, Steve McNair and Michael Jackson. Their passing has made me even more determined to squeeze all that I can out of this tube of life. My spirit is renewed. I love to create. I love to write. You can best believe that I will do more of those things.

I am running the self clean function on the oven but later today, I will bake myself a birthday cake. I have a taste for German Chocolate. Though I always do this for other people, today, I will make myself a slideshow featuring my favorite music. I will go shopping and perhaps even wash my truck. But right now, I'm going over to my iPod to blast 50 Cents' "In Da Club" and refreshen my glass of Moscato. Today, I'm 40.

Cheers!










4 comments:

Evelyn Parham said...

Hey Ms. Lady!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!. You wear it well and you know this OKAY!!!. :) Have a wonderful day!!

The Creative Lady said...

Thanks E!

TheSistahChick said...

Happy Belated BDay sis! May you have many more :-) I turn 41 in exactly 20 days!!!

Steph Jordan said...

ALL I CAN SAY IS YOU GO GIRL! YOU ARE 40FAB! 40 was a great year for me (LOL 9 years ago) but I partied all year about it LOL.

Stop by and say hi and enter my 'What's your Passion?' contest.

Have a colorful day!
Steph
www.diviacity.blogspot.com
(found you on SITS)

Nappylicious T-shirt

The Oprah Effect